Tales from the desert... Part 1

Sr. Miriam James is preparing for her Perpetual Vows in Bosque, New Mexico. These are some of her reflections from the desert. (please pray for her!)

"After leaving cloudy and rainy Seattle for the desert heat of New Mexico, I've noticed some interesting things. First of all, it's hot. That being said, there is something about the desert that invites reflection and recollection. It's no coincidence that many of the saints left the city and the teeming mass of humanity to embark on an unknown path in the desert. Perhaps they fled for different reasons but I would be willing to bet that although they were leaving "distractions" behind, they knew that a different and perhaps more difficult battle lay ahead.

Sometimes people think that the problems they have are locational. They think, "If only I didn't live here, I would be happy." Or "If only I didn't have this job, I would be happy." or "If I didn't have to live with so-and-so, I would be happy." However, it rarely works that way. We think that if all of our distractions and problems were taken away, we would be happy. So we move, quit our jobs, stop speaking to certain people, etc. and often what happens is that we are just as unhappy as before. Why is that? Because we take ourselves with us wherever we go and most of our struggles are buried deep in our own hearts, not in our neighbor. More on that later...

I really like our mission out here in Bosque and one of the first things I noticed about it when I first arrived here almost nine years ago was the immense peace that permeates this mission. I had never experienced peace like that in my life before that point and it struck me deeply. Many members of our community come here for renewal and preparation of vows and I think it's really providential because this mission is marked by silence, community and peace. So we here also try to take one day at a time and embrace the gifts that God is trying to give us, whatever they may be.

Blessed John XXIII said, "You must live each day as it comes, and proceed arm in arm with Providence, not trying to race ahead."

Think about it.

Til next time..."

Comments

Anonymous said…
Congratulations as you near your Perpetual Vows!

I'll be praying for you.

Popular posts from this blog

Contact Information

Long lost blog...

Fr. Santan Pinto, SOLT 1948-2011